Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hazen's Birth Story

My water broke around 6:45 a.m. on monday May 2, 2011. (38 weeks & 5 days) I had got out of bed and went to the bathroom and went and got back in bed. As i laid back down i felt liquid seeping out. I knew i had just gone potty so i woke up Vance and told him i though my water had broke. He had a second of panic and asked what we should do. I told him to call the hospital and see what they wanted us to do since i wasn't having any contractions i didn't know if we should wait or just get down there. The hospital wanted us to come down. I decided i wanted to get in the shower and do my hair and put on my makeup first! Ha. (I figured i wasn't in any hurry so i could at least feel like i looked decent!) While i was in the shower Vance notified everyone on facebook that my water had broke. Even before he called either of our parents! Nerd! When i was ready we grabbed our bags and went to my parent's house for dad and Vance to give me a blessing. Then off we went to the hospital. Once i checked in they hooked me up to my IV (which the darn nurse had to do twice and left a nice little puddle of blood on me and the floor) and a monitor for the baby. Dr. Alejo came in and said that he knew i was there and that he would be back to deliver me. (It was a good thing that i went into labor since he had canceled clinic that day due to his wife having a baby the day before. I would have missed my appointment with him that night at 6:40) Every thing looked good and i was moved to a room for the long haul. I was hooked up to pitocin and i received my epidural once i was dilated to about 5cm. (If i didn't get it then i would have to wait until the triplets down the hall were born since the anesthesiologist would be with them) Things progressed quite nicely and i was quite happy with my Ipad and my phone. :] Sometime near the end i started feeling a pain almost like a charlie horse just below my right butt cheek. We decided that i was feeling contractions there since every time i said it hurt i was having one. The epidural was starting to wear off a little bit since I hadn't been pushing my epi button at all. So the nurses told me to start pushing it every 5 min to get ahead of the pain. I pushed it until i was at my max and could still feel the contractions. The nurses finally had the anesthesiologist come in and give me the booster to my epi and away my pain went. When i was finally dilated to a 10 i sat there for and hour and a half. (rest and descent is the way to go for all of you out there having babies! It made my delivery so easy!) The nurse came in and had me start pushing. I pushed through two contractions and she had me stop so she could get the doctor. Dr. Alejo came in and i pushed for three more contractions. (Hazen's umbilical cord was wrapped around his little neck, but Dr. Alejo just unlooped it and things were as good as new!) Exactly 12 hours after my water broke, at 6:45 p.m. Hazen was born. A beautiful healthy little boy. weighing 7lbs 13 oz and 20 inches long. We love him more than words can express!

(these pictures are from 3 different cameras so the pictures are different sizes)



your to cute! Acted all calm and cool on your first baby!! Congrats guys!

Local X

A little Late aren't you? If you were a true techie you should have been blogging from the delivery room. Or at least giving us updates along the way via twitter. Glad to see you are enjoying Hazen and I am extremely glad neither of you had complications. There I commented ;-)


Good comment about "rest and descent" I wish more people, mostly medical pros, would heed such advice. I cringe when I hear people say "I pushed for hours" I don't know why they torture people like that, especially since if you didn't push at all the baby would still come out. Good for you Mama!


Congratulations!!! He is so cute! Im so excited for you guys. I bet you guys are just lovin it. And you guys are such cute parents.